Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Walk Story - 2008 Howell, MI, USA

Here is a Walk Story from Rick Thomas who participated in the 2008 Howell, MI, USA Walk:

After receiving my first choice of heels in the mail and attempting to stand in them for the first time, I quickly surmised that there was no way I could walk ten feet, let alone a mile in six inch stilettos! My second choice of two inch heels were much easier to walk in, but still left my calves the size of watermelons the day after the march!

 

I took the stilettos anyway to take pictures in them and the shoes drew rave reviews and goaded on by my daughters, I actually walked a few paces in them though try as I might, I could not for the life of me stand straight up in those things! My knees had a permanent bend in them so it was more of a duck walk than anything! I do believe I heard someone yell AFLAC while I was walking!

 

It may appear that I am grimacing in a couple of the pictures because I am squeezing my keyster for dear life trying not to fall over, which may also explain the duck walk thing now that I think about it!

 

I was one of only a few who dared to wear socks with my heels, and took quite a bit of grief from my daughters and received a few tisk, tisks from some of the ladies in attendance as they waved their fingers in disapprovement. But screw that, swollen calves were enough, I did not want blisters as well. One of my daughters said she was embarrassed that I had socks on with my heels. To which I queried in a matter of fact tone, "your dad is wearing women's shoes, and you're embarrassed because he's wearing socks with them?". To which she replied in her own matter of fact tone, "yup"! Kids these days, so many distractions, so confused!

 

The event was a lot of fun and I made several new friends. Violence against women and child abuse crosses all barriers. Regardless of race, religion, education level, or social status, these are issues that affect all Americans. We sometimes lose sight of that and are quick to stand in judgment of someone who may be trapped in a situation such as that. The slogan "Walk a mile in her shoes" is symbolic for those who would cast judgment on someone without having been in that situation. 

 

I decided to do this march in an effort to network with the LACASA organization to meet those who may be able to help me in my goal of changing the way we look at domestic violence. As it stands now, protection for victims of domestic violence and child abuse is re-active. That is, something bad must first happen in order to receive assistance. The focus needs to be more pro-active, and we are blessed with the worlds greatest resource which ironically is our children. So if change is what we seek, then it is with our children that we should begin.

 

I hope to someday be in a position to speak with children regarding these very important, but often not talked about issues and this march was my first step to that end. What success if any I may have I do not know, but I want to help people. I believe that I can make a difference.
 
 
 
 
 
 
                                                                                                                        From left to right daughters Rickia 22, Shameika 21, Ricquel 19, Shayna 16,
                                                                                                                        and grand daughter Carrington 2.
 
 



No comments: